Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Fastpitch Softball Team Tryouts!

Join GROUPON for great savings!!   http://www.groupon.com/r/uu37226630


My daughter is 11 years old. She has played travel fastpitch softball for 4 North Carolina teams.   Recently we have found out that her main team was combining with another organization and that just having a 12u team is up in the air. So we are searching for another team and I thought I would write about her experience going to tryouts and such. We are looking for a team that will let her pitch. She got no pitching time at all this spring with her main team. So we played little league so she could pitch. Now, though, she is filling in for a few tournaments and the way she pitch
ed last weekend I think she will get a LOT of time on the mound (yay!). She is very happy about this.



We had to decide which tryouts to go to on which days because the Fever and Xtreme have them on the exact same days (Monday and Wednesday).


We started out going to a tryout for Fatpitch Fever 12u team. There were about 20 or so girls there. She is trying out for pitching, 2B and OF. I understand they have 2 already so I am not sure how much time she will get in the circle. However, she really liked the coaches and the girls that showed up. She pitched well and hit the ball very well. She only got to field 1 fly ball though because her pitching time cut into her OF time. No worries though. I think she did really good and 2 of her old teammates also showed up to tryout. The fielding went really fast and that was nice. Not much downtime at all for the girls.

Next is Carolina Xtreme....


The Xtreme is supposed to be a mix between her old team and the old Carolina Xtreme. We were told that there would be a 14u team and a 12u team. At the first tryout 1 12u player showed up. At the second there were 3 and that includes my daughter and a friend of hers that I brought. At the 3rd tryout yesterday there were more at least. I think witht he old Peaches and the girls that have showed up we almost have enough for a team. The problem is it really seems like the 14u team is the priority and the 12u team is just an afterthought. IT may not be true but it seems that way. I cannot blame the coach though, that team is going to be really good and he is all about winning. So although it appears we could have a team if they really wanted to I am not counting on it. It sucks too becuase the girl we brought lives close tot here and she has no other way tot get to the practices and games except if I bring her. So if there is no team she gets left out as that is the only area I can pick her up and take her to practice. Also NONE of the old Xtreme girls showed up for any tryout.  Oh well. I heard one of the coaches really want the 12u team so I hope he takes charge and gets a few more players and we go on like we have been.

At the third tryout they took fielding and hit off a team. Then they were divided up and one team took the field. While coach hit the ball the other team ran to simulate real situations. It was cool. At the end they did base running speed. I was amazed. The girl I took actually had the fastest time from 2b to home - and there were some fast girls there. I knew she was fast but I had no idea she was that fast. I KNOW that caught their eye. I hope it turns into something.

On to the next tryout which will be : GBC Crushers. (recently changed to Denver Dazzle 12u)


The Crushers coach has actually been out to 2 tournaments to watch another girl and my daughter so I got to meet him. He seems very cool and I like what he was saying.  More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment